Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Latest on our next storm

If you've watching the Internet or television then no doubt you have seen the Winter Storm Watch. So here is my latest thinking. Since I updated from earlier this morning the new qpf is putting much more moisture into this storm. You might remember from my earlier post that I was questioning why the track seemed really positive for heavy snow but the qpf was really very limited. In comes some new output which puts about 8 to 10 inches across the area. Before you go to the store and buy out the bread and milk section you may want to read on. My concerns are that each new model run the track has been taken more north and northwestern track. This worries me a bit because the farther north the track the more of a mixed precipitation we get. The rain/sleet/freezing rain/snow mix can really kill totals in a hurry with a winter storm. So don't put me on the band wagon for a huge snowfall Thursday night and Friday. I will tell you that the European does take the track right through central Indiana which would still put us on a favorable track for snow. So more waiting for more model runs and more data before I jump up and down and scream winter storm. Here's the model I'm talking about. You will notice that the track goes from Louisiana to New York state over a 12 hour period.

2 comments:

bonzy said...

Interesting stuff, I really like your new blog! Very Joe Bastardi-esque..


Do you know when you will know more about the totals?

J Q Taxpayer said...

Because of the very points you made with this strom tract also goes with other storms.

Areas of high snow fall, ice zone, or so forth is very narrow bands when you consider the storm has not even formed up. Hence, for computer models to hit it on the head is difficult. Like throwing darts at a moving dart board.

Which leads me to whay does everyone go off the deepend better then 36 hours before the event is even to start of putting up watches.

I have followed the models for many years and they have improved greatly over the years. However, hitting the target zone more then 12 hours out is difficult when you are trying to figure out what area may get 3-5 inches, 5-7 inches, 7+ inches. Or where the line for freezing rain will be.

So whay do they do it?