Thursday, January 10, 2008

Why a weather blog?

Okay, so that's the big question. Why a weather blog? Well first off I am a certified weather 'geek' and the best thing about my job is that I get paid to be one! I only wish there were more hours in the day and I didn't have to do other mundane things in life. So this is going to be your way to get into my head and see what I am thinking about upcoming and past weather events. It gives me a chance to vent and it gives you a chance to experience true weather 'geekdum'!
The title of my blog comes from one of meteorology's first poets Longfellow. Longfellow is now part of my Google legend, I was interviewed about a year ago for a national NPR story and got to talk about Longfellow's love of weather. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7615632 So I thought that there really is no other title then one of Longfellow's most famous poems.
So now you know a little about me I will try to keep things on a meteorological and scientific level, but don't be surprised if I add some human touches as well. After all, contrary to popular belief we meteorologists are human as well. (At least the last time I checked). Don't be afraid to give your opinion about my attempt at blogging and please give me tips if you think I'm going at this the wrong way).

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks for starting a blog, Greg! We love the weather at our house and get made fun of all the time for watching too much Weather Channel! You're bookmarked in my RSS feeds now!

Greg Shoup said...

Thanks Cathy, I will have more graphics and a better look coming soon. It will also be connected to wane.com.

Bob G. said...

Greg:
Having followed your exploits from the channel 33 days to WANE, I can honestly say I'm glad you managed to remain here.

"Simplicity in character, in manners, in style; in all things the supreme excellence is simplicity."

And thanks for "keeping it simple" (the weather that is) no matter how complex "it" can become.

B.G.