Monday, January 14, 2008

The Politics of Forecasting!

Many years ago in my former life at another local station I was thrown into a role that really was beyond what I thought the job of a broadcast meteorologist entailed. Because of a problem with government funding it seemed as though Fort Wayne was not only going to loose a radar site but also its National Weather Service office. I had been elected to lead the local chapter of the American Meteorological Society so I took on the responsibility of getting a drive organized with public pressure and all the media. As you probably know the region did get a weather service office and a Nexrad radar site. It wasn't exactly the best site for Fort Wayne,but at least it gave some us protection during severe weather so we didn't have to depend on Indianapolis for our warnings.
During the process which created a huge response from the general public I was thrown into the political arena. Congressman Souder nominated me to chair a task force on Nexrad radar and there was even talks about congressional hearings here.
I can remember vividly one experience which is kind of like the commercial when someone hits you in the head because you should have chosen a different, more healthy drink. Mr. Souder and I were talking about where the radar and weather service office should be located. He remarked that it might not be in located in his district. (Now Kosciusko county and Elkhart are part of his district).
I remember saying that this is about science and not politics. At which time Mr. Souder quickly responded that everything involves politics.
Well so much for my bright eyed belief that there is pure science and that decisions in the scientific community are for the good of the science and not about politics.
And speaking of Global Warming! That's another 'can of worms' that is really more about politics than science. But that's also another post at another time. I don't know if I'm really ready to tackle this topic in my blog yet!

No comments: