Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Kind of Weather Do I Like?

What kind of weather do you like? That's one of the questions I get quite often. For me its kind of a loaded question. Okay, so here's my selfish answer, I love Summer and if I could be by water or on a boat every day of the year I would not complain. However, that kind of weather would not be good for my business putting me out of work and with no money to enjoy sitting on a boat on a 80 degree plus day. So...I will tell you that I really enjoy the challenge of forecasting a big change in weather patterns, (like the one on the way this weekend). I enjoy the challenge of the extended forecast especially when I see a big pattern change coming. It's always a challenge and because of the inconsistency of the mathematical models a forecast can never be perfect. In fact, I can remember one professor telling me that the minute a forecast is published it is wrong, something in that forecast is incorrect. But that's what makes my job fun. Changes and challenges of everyday keep me on my toes. I will tell you one thing though the more I do my 'homework' the better prepared I am to forecast the change. There's no substitute for hard work and the more data the better. (Stepping off my pedestal!)

3 comments:

Jeff Pruitt said...

I love Winter because that means it's snowboarding season. I think everyone needs a winter hobby...

Greg Shoup said...

I know I need a winter hobby as well. Going to Komets games doesn't count I guess :)

Bob G. said...

A winter hobby...how about becoming a hot chocolate connoisseur?

MY winter hobby is trying to keep the house warm, the cars driveable, and the sidewalks cleared.

Maybe that's I'm liking spring and fall more...no heat, no cold...just nice (and all too brief).

;)

B.G.