Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Interesting Pattern in the Medium Range

Here we go again. Model bias and down right stubbornness in what we call medium range forecasting. On one side what some like to call the American Model or GFS and on the other side the European model. If you don't know it already I am stubborn on the European side, I always have been since I believe it does a much better job of handling cold air. And we've had our share of cold air this Winter. Let me show you what I'm referring to here. Here is the 168 hour European. You can see part of the 'polar vortex' to the north. Sorrounding it is moderately colder air. We have -12 to -14 Celsius across northern Indiana by Tuesday Morning.
Meanwhile the 156 hour GFS comes in with moderatly colder air. The 850 mb has -10 Celsius. So why the desparity in the forecasts? Why are most going lower 30s for Monday and Tuesday and yours truly is going teens. Well there is the dreaded product called the MOS or model statistics which has temperatures in the upper 20s. This is what makes me pull my hair out. Some out there are not trained or have the ability to actually look at models while others are just plain lazy and wait for the MOS output to come out and just do a cut and paste job. What the European doesn't have is MOS so it's not easy for the lazy or uneducated to use and therefore it is under used in my industry. Here is a look at the latest GFS MOS.

No comments: