Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Just as expected

Unlike the Civil War the south actually won this one! At least the southern part of the state. This morning the snow advisory was cancelled. Here's my problem with this advisory, with the 'new' system the National Weather Service issues watches 36 to 48 hours in advance of winter weather systems. But as you know all too well the track changes and then they are left with a real problem. How do you back off of a winter storm watch? Well what you do is issue a winter weather advisory or in this case a snow advisory. The problem with this last system was flawed thinking in my opinion and to be fair it wasn't just the NWS that bought into this. If you listen or heaven help you look on line for the Weather Channel forecast you were deluged with false snowfall amounts yesterday as well. So I believe it's great that we have more advanced warning, but it puts people like me in a bit of a predicament. As a broadcaster I am obliged by Federal law to pass along watches, warnings and advisories.

To further this problem you may be an avid weather watcher but some people will turn the channel and compare forecasts, then you willdrive to work and hear the Weather Channel forecast (Which has made a living out of scaring the crud out of people). Then you go to work and someone says, "did you hear that we're getting 7 inches of snow?" The next day you say to yourself or someone at work. We'll I guess those weather people were wrong again. My favorite are people like the accountant from Ohio who came to this blog shortly after I started it and left a comment that said if he ran his business like weather was forecast he would be put in jail. My response was come on over I could use your help!

No comments: